Grapefruit/Orange Green Smoothie
I woke up this morning after a couple of weeks of almost a non-stop, on-going ride of entertaining and socializing with friends and family, and decided I needed to give my system a rest. I normally would make myself a smoothie that would include heavier ingredients like bananas, almonds, coconut and sometimes coconut milk. I needed a break. With all the entertaining and socializing, I always adhere to my 80%-20% rule, but I seemed to be going a little crazy on the 20% part so the thought of starting this morning with something as calorie dense as my regular morning smoothie was the last thing I wanted.
I had long desired to make a smoothie that comprised of grapefruit and orange. I love both fruits on their own, and actually will take a grapefruit and/or orange to work with me as a snack. They’re portable and come in their own packaging so it can withstand the rigors of transportation in my bag! The health benefits of citrus fruits are numerous, plus I read a while ago about how grapefruits and oranges are also great for reducing cellulite!! Let me tell you a couple of other health benefits:
- Weight Loss and/or Weight Management – Grapefruits have an element in them that helps block the absorption of carbs in your body. Your body will burn stored fat as fuel if there are no carbs present in your body.
- Grapefruits can fight off infection – grapefruits are full of flavonoids which help your body fight off infection and can even help your body stay safe from carcinogens that can cause cancer and other serious illnesses.
- Helps maintain eye sight – Pink and red grapefruits have large amounts of Beta Carotene, an element that is necessary in order to keep your eyes healthy and strong.
- Oranges are rich in fiber -The fibers in oranges are good for the digestive system and relieving constipation. Fibers also reduce cholesterol which is helpful in preventing atherosclerosis. Fibers are also good in keeping the bloodsugar levels in control.
- Great for Cardiovascular health – The high content of Vitamin C, flavonoids and phyto-nutrients in citrus fruits reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Oranges are great for our immune system.
- Oranges are rich in calcium which is great for our bones and teeth
I always keep grapefruits and oranges on hand so I threw a couple of ingredients into my Vitamix and figured I’d play around with the recipe until I got it right. This is what I came up with on my first try! It was delicious! And refreshing! And healthy! And lite!!! Yes — I do add other ingredients that I thought my system needed at that moment. You will see them in the recipe below.
Rejuvenation And Wellness (RAW) Grapefruit/Orange Smoothie
1/2 pink grapefruit peeled (I did not remove seeds if any)
1 medium orange peeled
1 quarter cucumber
1 tbsp. raw honey (figured I needed some sweetness)
1 disk fresh peeled ginger
1/8 disk fresh peeled tumeric
1 tsp. (or more) wheatgrass powder
1 tablespoon flax seeds (for Omega 3)
1 cup Kale
1/2 cup – 1 cup ice (depending how cold you like it)
3 cups filtered water
Whirl up in Vitamix until completely blended. Pour into glass and